Thursday, November 17, 2016

Stone Quarries and Mullets: A History of the Abundant Life in Moiliili


My neighborhood, Mcully-Moiliili, is conveniently located between all facets of life. Although the area is very residential, I can walk anywhere as long as I have at least 20 minutes. The Mcully-Moiliili shopping center is a block away, as is the park. The library, Ala moana beach, and the university are 10, 15, and 20 minutes away on foot, respectively. In the morning, the sun warms my bed, and in the afternoon, a cool breeze drifts through my windows. It is the perfect place it live.
When I walk around my neighborhood, I see a lot of Asian stores and temples. Some examples are the Hongwanji and the Tenrikyo. I was not surprised to learn that much of the Moiliili town was made up of immigrant families during the beginning of the 20th century. I was surprised to learn that there used to be a large stone quarry where the UH athletic complex is currently located, which provided much employment for the residents of this area. The Moiliili Community Center’s Newsletter Quarry Dust originates from the excessive byproduct of the quarry mining operation that coated the entire area a few times each day.
A better-known historical fact is that the Moiliili area has an extensive and intriguing subterranean cavern system. The caverns are the result of rainwater flowing down the valley and slowly hollowing out the limestone foundation. Some caves contained fresh water mullets, which the residents fished recreationally, for sale, and for eating purposes. The majority of ponds have been since filled in or sealed off.
I never knew that Moiliili was so full of history. I really enjoy living here in terms of convenience, but I never had the time to walk around and consider the past of where I lived. This exercise has taught me that it is good to walk around once in a while, see the sights my neighborhood has to offer, and learn new things about my community.

No comments: