Thursday, October 6, 2016

Blog Post #6: Letter to Tim Denevi

Letter to Tim Denevi

Dear Mr. Devenvi, 
          After reading Hyper, I not only gained a deeper understanding of ADHD’s history but also could empathize with the struggles that come with ADHD. The way you connected the historical and statistical information of ADHD to your personal struggle with the disorder made me realize that the medical frustrations and obstacles of the disorder go hand-in-hand with the emotional and physical well-being of those who have ADHD. 
          As I read about your experience dealing with ADHD as you progressed through school I realized how much more difficult every day tasks and dealing with the awkward phase of being a teenager can be. In middle school, most teenagers have to deal with the awkward physical and hormonal changes, fitting in, and keeping up grades in school, but in middle school you had to balance the “normal” struggles of being a teenager with ADHD and the effects of its medications. Reading about you trying to control your angsty hormonal rage by trying to keep out of fights while also being greatly misunderstood by your teachers and classmates gave me an inside look as to how others with ADHD might feel. Also, having seen the temptations and wildness of high school through the alcohol, drugs, and crazy high school dances, I can only imagine the perseverance and determination it took to manage these temptations with ADHD. After reading through your struggle with ADHD and the fates of your other two friends who also struggled with the disorder, I greatly respect your years of determination and perseverance despite the constant mountain of extra stress you faced due to ADHD. 
           By reading this book, I hope to use my factual and emotional understanding of ADHD to raise awareness for the disorder and be more understanding to those who have ADHD. Your book has helped bridge the gap of understanding between those who deal with ADHD and those who don’t have the disorder. I hope many more people who deal with disorders follow your example and share their stories to build awareness and understanding of the struggles of disorders. 
         Sincerely, 

                 Jaimee Kato

No comments: