Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Hyper commentary



Timothy Denevi,

Although it is a memoir, Hyper is one of the most intriguing books that I have read so far because it explains the history of ADHD, and how medication and opinions on the disorder have changed over time. One of my favorite things about this book is that the history was not plainly thrown at the audience; the science behind ADHD was always followed by anecdotes, which reinforced why the information that you were presenting to us is important.
The part that touched me was the story of how you took Ritalin at the age of six, and the bad reaction that you had to it. In a way, that story gave me another perspective on the medical world. Growing up, I always assumed that if I get sick or unwell, the solution is to go to the doctor’s office to get prescriptions for medicines that will make me feel better. Not one did I doubt the credibility of my doctor or the drugs that he prescribed me to. Hearing your story, however, makes me realize that medicine is not always reliable and cannot always be used to cure us from all of our problems. Your experience with the many tests and remedies that the doctors tried such as the liquid diet, sleep-deprived EEG, behavior assessments, etc. also helped me to sympathize with children going through similar experiences. Whenever I see children, I only see the best in them; I see their optimism, charisma, curiosity, and innocence. This book, however, reminded me that not all children are sunshine and flowers; some go through struggles, whether it’s their own or the struggles of other loved one that affect them. Knowing this, however, has not changed my passion towards children because children can be strong enough to overcome struggles that life presents them with. You are an example of that. You have found a way to make it through your struggles, especially after losing your two friends. Because of that, I see this book as not only a compilation of ADHD throughout history, but also as an inspiring story of your ability to overcome and live with this mental condition.

No comments: