Blessie Vergara
Post #6
Timothy Denevi,
Thank you so much for opening my eyes to the world of ADHD. I have been sheltered from the universe of mental illnesses until my older brother was diagnosed with a major depressive disorder in my junior year of high school. I witnessed firsthand the various treatment options available for depression and their effects; from going on appointments with psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors, being prescribed different medications--I am aware. However, I do not personally know of many people diagnosed with ADHD. Your book has enlightened me on the subject.
I loved how you told your story about living with ADHD. You went into detail about your experience in the education system and how that affected how you lived with the illness. It was interesting to know not much was known about ADHD at the time that you went through the K-12 education system and the discovery of it was just emerging towards the end of your secondary education. The fact that you focused on your childhood to adolescence in your memoir made it that much more personal to me.
Because of your book, I am reminded that there are “different strokes for different folks” when it comes to living with ADHD. It is not so much combating the effects of ADHD as it is to recognize what you are diagnosed with and how to live with it in the healthiest way possible. As a future doctor, my first instinct would be to run a series of tests and prescribe medication that would combat symptoms of an illness. However, that is not always the answer. Some people require appointments with other health professionals. Others are best treated with natural remedies. It is a matter of what works best for each person.
Entering university has exposed me to a diverse range of life experiences and perspectives, and I am so thankful for each one that I have encountered so far. Reading your book has had the same effect on me--I will hold this dear to me as I continue my academic journey.
Sincerely,
Blessie Vergara
No comments:
Post a Comment