Friday, October 28, 2016

The Final Wish

One day as I am about to pass away, I would rather not be in the hospital. I do not want to be confined to a bed with tubes sticking out and into my body, I do not want foreign substances being pump into my body only to continue my ability to lie on the bed staring at the white plain depressing ceiling. I would like to be by the lively beach with my loved one, listening to the peaceful ocean waves, feeling the sun rays on my body and slowly, and hopefully painlessly, drift from this world. As I look at the Hawaii Advance Directive, the most stunning information I found was what you could choose what to donate your organs for, whether for transplant, therapy, research, and/or education. I knew that donating organs is an important matter and one that would benefit future generations. However, I had never realized how others people might care about where their exact organs are being used for when they no longer live in this world. 

This was not the first time I had seen an advance directive though. I had filled out one during health studies class in High School. Contracting between the time I filled it out in High School and how I would fill it out today, I realized how my perspective had changed over time. No longer do I hope to travel to London and Paris before I passed on; rather, I wish to be with family and friends and pass away in a natural setting, preferably the beach. My final wish is not to be confined in a hospital, not to extend my life to anymore suffering, but simply to acknowledge that I ran a good race and about to cross the finish line. 

No comments: