Topic: Friendship that Changed My Life
by Richard Ho
The friendship between
Jahren and Billy is unique one. Especially for Jahren, who finds herself unable to
trust or rely on anyone in her profession because she’s such an unconventional
figure; almost as if she’s a unicorn, a mystical creature that only exists in
fairytales. Bill enabled Jahren to have an outlet to share her discoveries,
secrets, and ultimately success with. Without Bill, friendship could have only
been a privilege that Hope Jahren can only dream of obtaining, but could never
have.
Furthermore, I believe that
friendship is built upon two individuals that share a similar mindset or
similar personalities or style. By the same token, I believe that Bill may also
be a maverick as well, judging from his lack of social interaction and his
family background. Both Bill and Hope share a very similar childhood that
shaped them into the individuals they are, it was this that drew the two
together, and their passion of their work, binding them closer than ever.
I too, found friends that
shared the same belief and similar traits in our personalities. In addition, to “likes
attract likes”, I also believe that healthy competition between friends is
always beneficial to the personal growth of both individuals. Only through
conflict can one be pushed towards one’s limits and achieve greatness.
Competitors are essentially role models. However, contrary to the belief of
becoming one’s role model, the concept of competitions is to surpass one’s
competitor.
I learned a lot from my
friends/friendly competitors. Amongst these valuable lessons, the one I took
with me is the idea of not worrying about the thing I can’t control. This idea
is often easily said than done. Yet, the statement holds its value, because it
is very true. Why worry about something that went wrong in the past? Instead,
why doesn't one try to direct his/her attention to the present, to change the
future.
1 comment:
Your last paragraph contains some real wisdom, Richard, but how did you learn that through your friends?
Tell us a story!
Post a Comment