Thursday, October 6, 2016

Letter to Timothy Denevi

Hunter Garrett
Post #6
Letter to Timothy Denevi

Dear Timothy Denevi,

        Hyper has really changed the way that I perceive people who are diagnosed with ADHD.  Before reading your book, I was rather ignorant about the topic of ADHD since I knew very little about the mental disorder; apart from the fact that it made people hyperactive and reduced their ability to focus and concentrate.  I never really knew anyone with ADHD, and therefore had no idea what it felt like and had no insight as to what these people went through.  I always knew that it made kids struggle in school, but I didn't really think much of it, and never thought about exactly how they struggled or what other difficulties they experienced in their everyday lives.  Your book has has enlightened me from my ignorance of ADHD by giving me a deeper insight on its history as well as what it is like to grow up with this mental disorder.
        The way that you incorporated the history of ADHD and its treatments into a memoir of your life experience made your book very unique and it made me really understand the disorder by giving the background information, and then showing how that relates to "real life."  I liked how you vividly described your experiences in and out of school with great detail and imagery.  I was able to picture what was happening and feel what you were going through which gave me immense empathy towards you and the struggles that you faced in your life.  The way that you described your tantrums, arguments with your parents, thoughts on your treatments, and fights at school really made me realize the difficulties that a kid faces when growing up with ADHD.  I was also completely unaware of how many different treatments and medications were used for ADHD, and of how long it took to actually create ADHD awareness.
        The part that I found the most interesting was when you described your fourth grade experience with Mrs. Parsons.  Unlike your third grade teacher Mrs. Kovalenko, Mrs. Parsons understood ADHD and knew that just because you had a mental disorder, it didn't mean that you were not as smart or intellectual as everyone else.  She made you turn your interest of earthquakes into a winning science fair project and saw your potential.  She didn't punish you in a harmful manner and have you sit outside like with Mrs. Kovalenko because she understood you and knew that it would only hinder your development.  She knew that you could be something great and that you just needed to realize it.  This stands out to me because it was a turning point in your life from a year of pain, into a year of positive results.  It also made me see how an ignorance of ADHD can lead to the suffering of others with the disorder and how an understanding of it can put these kids on the right path to success.
        One thing that I have learned from your book that has changed the way that I view others with ADHD is that just because you have a mental disorder, doesn't mean that you are not as intellectual as every normal person around you.  Your experience in Mrs. Parsons class proves this, and it made me realize that people with ADHD are just like any other normal person.  It is just that they have a more difficult time trying to learn due to their hyperactivity and a lack of concentration.  I now see that they have the same capabilities and potential as everybody else and that only people who understand their condition and know what they are going through can help them realize it.  It made me see the importance of ADHD awareness and how a lack of knowledge can lead to people being treated less than what they really are.  After reading your book, I have a huge empathy for you and after seeing the hardships that you faced growing up with ADHD; I now think of what other people with ADHD and other mental disorders could be going through in their lives.  Your captivating book has shown me a unique view on what it is like to grow up with ADHD and has shaped my perception on the disorder immensely.  Thank you for making me aware of what it is like to grow up and live with ADHD.


Sincerely,

Hunter Garrett

No comments: