Thursday, October 20, 2016

Blog Post #8: Intellectual Friendship

Growing an Intellectual Garden

       Throughout my carefree days in elementary school, I remember gossiping with my girlfriends about who they liked or what TV shows they liked but nothing superb or intellectually moving. As I grew older and became more aware of the world around me and expanded my knowledge through school, I began to seek conversation on more than just the gossip at school and what happened in the latest episode of Criminal Minds. My world became full of topics such as the struggles of the LGBT community, science, world hunger, and other issues. As I began to learn more about these problems I became curious and craved someone to ask or just talk to about these issues. That person became my older sister. 
        I have looked up to my older sister for as long as I can remember. She always surrounded herself with knowledge. Whether it was watching the latest political debate, reading articles on injustices against the black community, or listening to news casts on mass shootings against the LGBT community, my sister was always soaking in every piece of information she could get her hands on. Of course, after absorbing all that information she squeezed it out into me. At first I would simply shrug and not fully listen to what she had to say, but as I became more exposed to the issues in the world, I began to listen and even carried a conversation with her. Soon enough, my sister and I would routinely exchange tidbits of intellectual information, such as the use of golden rice to increase Vitamin A intake in developing countries or whether schools should start later to accommodate the sleeping schedules of teenagers. Besides sharing her opinion on issues, my sister also taught me the importance of listening. 
        As a member of the LGBT community, my sister is aware of the lack of understanding and knowledge people have regarding the LGBT community. While we were discussing LGBT issues, she told me that in order to understand and solve the issues of another, sometimes you just need to shut up and listen to what the other person has to say. Rather than continuing to blabber your thoughts about a subject you know little about, you should take the time to listen to what other individuals have to say in order to make a more informed opinion on the issue. 

       Through her words of wisdom and intellectual conversations, I have come to understand more about the world around me and how I should grow as an intellectual. I have learned that more so than possessing intellect, it is important to take the time to listen to the intellect of others in order to grow a flourishing garden of your own ideas and beliefs. By doing so, I hope others will listen to the knowledge I have to share and grow gardens of their own. 

No comments: