Jen Yokoyama
Intellectual Friendship
Throughout the years, I have met a variety of people, even making some friends along the way, but there are two friends in particular who I have an intellectual friendship with: one with who I was born with, and the other not so.
This was not always an intellectual friendship. At first, this was a "normal" friendship. My sister and I were around each other our whole lives, and we met our friend met when we were in preschool at the local Kid's Play daycare center. Our friendship with her was on and off in elementary school, but we became best friends in fifth grade when the three of us joined one of the local swim clubs, and we have all been together ever since then.
As time went on, the three of us found that we found enjoyment in talking about "intellectual" topics and our opinions about them, and subjects like the deep sea, space, and corrupt politics became frequent subjects in our conversations, subjects that do not normally pop up in conversations with others. The three of us think very similarly, with similar morals and general opinions, but we also think very differently. Sometimes, we get into heated discussions about certain subjects, and despite what we all initially think, in the end, we all get a more well-rounded outlook on them. Our best conversations do not revolve around ourselves, or even each other; instead, they are about very “random-seeming” topics, such as our dislike for Donald Trump.
The friendship between the three of us is kind of unusual, but it works. We do not really fit into the standard “norms” of society because, even as best friends, we do not talk about personal things, but because of the connections we have beyond personal talk, I think our friendship will last for the rest of our lifetimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment