Thursday, October 20, 2016
Intellectual Friends
Throughout most of high school, I was often asked what I wanted to do with my life. Upon hearing that I had the intention of becoming a pediatrician, many of my relatives doubted me. They tried to persuade me to go a safer route with an easier career. Instead, I got experience in the field by volunteering at a hospital to confirm my interests. When I first volunteered at Queen’s Medical Center, I got lost around the hospital, often fumbled with the pneumatic tube system, forgot which patients belonged in which room, etc. Eventually, however, I memorized my way around, understood how the machines work, learned to pay attention to detail, along with many other practical skills. During my time at Queen’s, I also met other students who are pursuing careers in the medical field. Although we did not work on projects together, we often ran into each other during our shifts and I eventually got to know them. We helped each other - inside and outside of Queen’s, whether it was just with finding a patient’s paperwork or whether it was with homework assignments for math. They had the same career goals as me, and we all had similar plans in achieving them. We shared our resources, and we introduced each other to new strategies, opportunities, and scholarships. When I was overwhelmed, they reminded me that I am capable and of what is important. Having them in my life was a constant reminder that there is always a way to accomplish what I want if it really means that much to me. They knew that they wanted to become doctors, and they prioritized their academics in pursuit of that. Becoming a doctor may seem like an unachievable goal, but their optimism motivated me to work towards what I want, not what others want for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment