My
grandmother will forever be my role model. She was born in a rural farm in
Northern Vietnam with close to nothing. A tall, serious woman, my grandma
started working by selling Vietnamese dishes to her neighbors. When the Vietnam
War was underway, she immigrated to America with her family in search of the
United States’ freedom of opportunity.
My
grandma hustled and never took a break her entire adult life. Over the years,
she opened up a restaurant, a market, and an arts and crafts store. Her arts
and crafts store was actually the first in all of Orange County and is still
open today.
One of
the earliest memories I shared with Grandma was when I was around five. My
family was at a charity auction and there was a moment when my grandmother was
being honored by the hundreds of people in the room for her philanthropy and
contributions to those affected by Agent Orange. Looking back, this is one of
the occasions where I began admiring my grandma for all of the prestige she had
built from her humble beginnings.
My
respect and love for my grandma is why it has been so hard for me to watch her
age. She has clung onto every medical treatment in order to prolong her life.
Her daily regimen consists of around five pills, expensive ginseng, and
whatever health miracle her friends introduce to her. I have watched my
grandmother undergo multiple surgeries and see the best specialists for her
multiple health problems. And what is this battle all for? I have never seen
her smile for over five years since taking all of these medications and
treatments. She is a sullen enigma of the brilliant, tough entrepreneur that I
used to know.
If I
was in pain and no longer felt joy. I would definitely choose to end my life.
Nobody knows the ultimate meaning of life but to me, a major part of living is
being happy. I want to spend every moment of my life with a purpose, not just
for the purpose of getting older.
No comments:
Post a Comment