Friday, September 9, 2016

A Sappy Love Letter

Blessie Vergara
Post #2

You seemed like such an insignificant thing, a mere sapling planted in a vast land of brown. Were you going to survive in a world full of toxic chemicals? Would you be able to withstand the harsh conditions that your new environment had before you? These questions infested my mind as I dug deep and was forced to surrender you to the real world, outside the sanctuary of the nursery.
Long ago, your friends underwent this process but unfortunately withered away not too long after taking root in the earth. But you? You were able to overcome the odds. Your sprouts arose from the depths and you prospered. The warm rays of the sun and the cooling touch of the rain helped you to grow exponentially day by day. And soon enough, your arms branched off into the expanse of the sky and a green umbrella safely loomed over your head.
Although you’ve fully matured, hindrances that attempt to stunt your growth remain. Your many years of growth gave way to multitudes of invasive species of your kind that block your airways temporarily. Your bark holds colonies of pests and insects that unjustly steal your food and all of the nutrients that it contains. Fellow humans create flames that consume you and your friends from the bottom, up. These are conditions you suffer from each day, yet you find a way to live to the next.
Tree, dear tree, thank you for being a visual representation of what my life has been thus far and will (hopefully) continue to be. I face conflict each day, both internal and external, and I find strength in your unwavering spirit. I am dearly sorry for the life-or-death situations that humanity has caused. I reflect on your growth over the years and rest assured that my life will take your course.

No comments: