Jon Abe
Four years ago, I nearly lost my life. On July 26, 2011, my grandfather’s Toyota Camry suddenly and randomly accelerated out of the McDonald’s drive-thru and onto Kamehameha Highway. Within a split second, our car clipped an SUV and spun uncontrollably until we hit a chain-linked fence.
After undergoing a CT scan, two MRIs, and seeing Dr. Keith Abe, a pediatric neurologist at Kapiolani Hospital, I learned that I had sustained a subdural hematoma from this harrowing accident. However, this was not the only disheartening news that I received. The MRIs also revealed that I had a previous bleed before the accident, which was very alarming because my great grandfather died of a brain hemorrhage at a young age. It was determined, by both my pediatric neurologist and my physician, that it was in my best interest to stop playing soccer — a sport I’ve loved since age six — in order to prevent further brain injuries.
For weeks, I locked myself in a room, crushed beyond measure. I could not comprehend the fact that I would never play soccer again. How, in one moment, could my life change so freakin’ drastically? And why, of all people, did it have to happen to me?
But perhaps this accident was for the best of me. Before the accident, I was a rascal, immature, and care-free teenager. I was constantly in and out of the dean’s office for a plethora of reasons ranging from being out of dress code to strategically placing banana peels on the floors of the hallway. It was safe to say that school was not a priority; soccer practice took precedent over homework any day of the week.
However now that I couldn’t play soccer, the dream of playing college ball was thrown out the window. I was left with a bunch of free time, too much free time. It was only then that I decided to prioritize school. I faced the reality that if I wanted to do anything with my life or make a difference in someone else’s life, then I would have to focus on school and most importantly, change the outlook that I had on life. Weekly trips to the dean’s office were simply not healthy. I realized that a change in my behavior was a must. Instead of the one chucking banana peels on the floor, I was the one picking them up. Although to be completely honest, I do have a few relapses here and there.
Since my accident, I haven’t looked back and don’t plan to anytime in the near future. I am perfectly happy with my life as is. One could say, for a lack of better words, that this accident was a blessing in disguise.
1 comment:
Wow. Nothing like a near death experience to change one's life. It's now basketball, right? Thanks for sharing with us.
Post a Comment