My struggle with weight and health
has been a central part of my life. I actually wrote about this for my Manoa
Merit scholarship application so I thought it would be perfect to paraphrase it
and add some commentary about where I am today.
Heaven is a place where clouds are
made with bacon, fried chicken and cheeseburgers. That was the mindset of
chubby ten-year old me, ignorant of what I was consuming. At the rate I was devouring
KFC chicken thighs, I would contract Diabetes just as my father had been
diagnosed with. Every day, I would be dauntlessly bullied by classmates over my
weight. However, it was solely due to my health that I desired to change my
eating habits. That was easier than done. Walking past the succulent aroma of
Tony Roma’s baby back ribs would cloud my judgment and continue my carnal
desire of meat. Then one day it was all over. I said goodbye to this beloved
vice containing both pleasure and pain.
My mother was conscious of my
decision to become healthier and recommended an obscure foreign film on
vegetarianism. I came in with low expectations, thinking nothing could stop me
from piling on Chicken McNuggets. Incredibly, my narrow-minded world came to a
crashing halt as we watched the video together. The film depicted the dire
health concerns with eating processed meats, the moral repercussions of
slaughtering animals, and the environmental degradation of factory farming. I
quit cold turkey figuratively and literally, never looking back.
Being a vegetarian has molded me
into the person I am today. I am majoring in Natural Resources and
Environmental Management in pursuit of bettering the people and world around
me. I will use my experience as a catalyst for achieving success and making
lifelong friends who share my principles. My diet has fostered my commitment to
persevere even when circumstances are rough, has entrenched in me a sense of
independent thought, and has opened me to tolerate subjects I do not completely
understand. Heaven is a place where the clouds are made with benevolence,
compassion, and maybe even some tofu.
1 comment:
Fascinating. The top paragraph tells me more as a reader than the second one, though I get it. You're acting to improve your own health, which is a wonderful thing, and you're helping the earth at the same time. They are linked!
Post a Comment