Friday, September 30, 2016
Always In Search for Words
Words are critical in expressing yourself. Ever since we were born, we were taught words, each with a unique meaning, to better express what we want and how we feel. Everyday, our vocabulary list expands by tenfold, and thoughts are no longer merely ideas in our mind, but we formulate it into sentences and phrases to communicate our ideas to others. Everyone has had the frustration of staring blankly into space while unable to find the right words to express the thoughts accumulating into their mind. Everyone has once felt negatively about an event, but could not categorize their feelings into either sadness or anger or rather simply irritation. However, this was an even harder task for me, the task of expressing myself. Ever since a child, I had been a rather quiet kid, I was never the one who raises a hand and answer questions. Nonetheless, this does not mean I was not outspoken though, I have no problem bursting out random thoughts that would simply passed through the critical thinking side of me, which was categorized as disruptive in my primitive schooling merely because I failed to raise my hand. The biggest problem I had, was to organize my thoughts and translate them into words. Often, I have no struggle completing a task or solving a math problem, but the struggle lies in explaining the steps in front of the class or the logic behind my answers. In my kindergarten class, my teacher was worry about my lack of ability in expressing myself, thus she advised my mother to take me to see a speech therapist. Being with the therapist for almost two years, she concluded that I do not have any serious conditions or other disorders that would require further therapy sessions. Till this day, I still faintly recall the little reading exercises we did and the play time we had during those sessions. Her kind and sincere face encouraged me to speak bravely and continued working through the frustration of organizing my thoughts. Through her patience with me, she taught me to be patience with myself. I have always feel inferior since then because of the frustration I have from formulating my words, the time it takes for the right words to come out, and the disappointment I feel when the words do not come out. Even so, I learned a valuable lesson, I learned to give myself grace and to be patience with myself as my therapist was with me. This struggle sure is something that was difficult for a long while, but I no longer have such a serious issue and I strive everyday to better train myself in expressing my thoughts.
Questions for Timothy Denevi:
1) Reading about your parents fights and yet how they do not fail in supporting each other and loving you, how do you think their relationship has supported your battle against ADHD, or rather the journey you took in learning to live with ADHD?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Now this is wisdom! "I learned to give myself grace and to be patience with myself as my therapist was with me." So glad you had that experience of learning to be patient with yourself.
Post a Comment