Question For Timothy Denevi
As the knowledge of ADHD grew over time and people became more aware of its existence; did you notice if people began to view you differently than before due to this deeper understanding of this mental disorder? If so, how did your life or your experience in school change because of this?
1 comment:
Hi Hunter,
It's a hard question to answer, because as awareness has grown, the influence of over-activity and impulsivity on my general functioning has changed too--these traits manifest differently in adulthood--but I will say that, despite the fact that people at my work or in the writing world know I've written a memoir/cultural history of the disorder, I don't find myself challenged, professionally or intellectually, along such lines. As in: my other creative writing colleagues don't look at me any differently because I have ADHD, i don't think; they judge me on the work I produce and the reactions to my teaching style. And that probably has a lot to do (along with my own privilege) with the changing nature of our cultural perception of ADHD.
Post a Comment