Thursday, September 1, 2016

Library Observations


Jen Yokoyama
Post #1

        To be honest, I was a little intimidated by how big Hamilton Library was, and at the time of observation I was in a rush, so I didn't observe too much or venture very far into the library.  I wasn't really paying attention to what others around me were doing specifically, but they were all very focused, intently working on whatever project or assignment they had.  The library as a whole feels different; stepping from outside into the building felt like I was travelling between two different worlds.  The atmosphere of the library is different than other atmospheres around campus.  For example, while the Campus Center is bustling with activity, students moving at quick paces from one area to another, the library has a quiet and calm air, and there was no feelings of rushing around.  The air smells a certain way, and I heard noises like people typing on their computers and the quiet whisperings of people talking with each other.  This reminded me of the library back home, so I felt quite comfortable sitting in there.

       The sensory details I remember from my short time observing the library reminds me of the sensory details Farge mentions in Allure of the Archives.  To some people, it may sound crazy when she talks about the feel of the parchment paper records were written on and the white line the ribbon binding the papers chock full with dust leaves behind, but I can relate to the nostalgia and details that accompany memories of an event like this.  Also, when people visit the library in general, they go with a goal in mind: to find specific information they need for something, and, upon entering the library, they are surrounded by tons and tons of books with lots of different kinds of information in them.  This is similar to how Farge has to pick and choose what information she thinks is relevant from a large multitude of records in the archives.

No comments: