Friday, September 30, 2016

Anchor

Blessie Vergara
Post #4

A picture of the sun’s rays gleaming over a rich, blue, and calm sea come to one’s mind when they look into my eyes. What they do not know is that behind my calm persona lies a tumultuous sea. My soul is the anchor in the murky depths of that sea. I remain grounded, despite the turbulent current. Though darkness has surrounded me, I remain to act as if nothing has changed.

One of the forces causing the turbulence was depression; not my own, but my brother's. His disease came on like an ocean’s squall, unforeseeable, but devastating. It singlehandedly demolished my brother's academic esteem, not to mention guilt, fear, helplessness, and self-blame my parents were experiencing. Then, the darkness halted in its tracks when it reached me, swirling around me but unable to penetrate into my soul. That was when my job as an anchor began.

With all of the chaos going on, there needed to be a person who was able to keep my family alive day by day. When my parents were in a helpless state, I took action to get my brother the best treatment possible. I researched ways in which to help him, finding the most effective psychologists and psychiatrists within the vicinity of our town. During this process, I became one of the only people that he wanted to talk to. I took the time to listen to what he had to say, relayed it to my parents if necessary, and gave him advice. I helped my brother and my parents become a unit once again, rather than disconnected souls floating in the sea. However, there were times when the darkness almost plagued me and I felt like giving up. Each time I had that thought, though, I was able to see the rays of life through. I remained focused on the mission to hold my family together, no matter how long it would take.

From this experience, I adopted characteristics that made me a better student and person. Knowing that I could be optimistic in a crisis, I was able to focus on my priorities. I gained the ability to see the bigger picture beyond a single problem, finding solutions for that problem area. Specifically, I took an interest in the different types of triggers that fuel mental illnesses and how I could approach them in a sensitive way. I could keep my eyes on the rays of light that pierced through the sea and go on with my life because it was inevitable that the tumultuous sea would turn into a calm once more. That was only a phase, and it could change.

1 comment:

susan said...

Thank you for being so kind and helpful to your brother. I'm sure it means a lot to him. As a fellow sufferer from depression, under control for decades now, I hold people who were kind to me in high regard!