Blessie Vergara
Post #1
As the sun set and the University of Hawaii at Manoa’s campus cleared, my mind started to drift into an abyss of nothingness. Then I remembered--I still have to do my assignment for Honors 101!
Making my way across the first floor of the library, I am reminded of the complete silence that permeated the atmosphere. Why so serious? I retreated to the safety of an elevator that was distant from the rest.
I glanced over at the buttons, then over to my watch. 1800, it displayed. The elevator doors gave way to an endless collection of books accompanied by their musty smell. Over to the left was a room filled with study desks and grey chairs. Positioning myself in the back so I could observe the people sitting at the desks in front of me, I open my laptop and type away.
1810: A young woman is directly in front of me, three desks away. She assumes the position of Auguste Rodin’s The Thinker as she intently studies content on the screen of her MacBook. However, it is not she that captures my interest. Over to my left is a man--probably in his 40’s. I observe his appearance from head to toe: Black beanie, black windbreaker, black slacks, and orange and black checkered socks, all of which are tattered. At his left is a blue suitcase which is also worn. Next, my eyes wander over to his tabletop. Directly in front of him are four stacks of index cards, 100 cards high. On his right is something I haven’t seen in years, a cassette tape!
After taking note of the individuals in the study room I felt at peace. Initially, I felt as Arlette Farge in the Allure of the Archives did when she first visited the library to conduct her research--intimidated. By ensuring that I was visiting the library during its off-hours, I was able to avoid crowds and gain full access to the wealth of information at my disposal. However, that intimidation diminished upon realizing that individuals of all demographics made use of the library and the archives it contains. The allure of the archives is something that is appealing to everyday people from a great range of age groups and from all walks of life. Knowing that gave me comfort.
No comments:
Post a Comment