Thursday, September 29, 2016

Question For Tim Denevi

Question For Tim Denevi:  With the increasing awareness of ADHD, do you think Mrs. Kovalenko, had she been your teacher today, would be more empathetic and understanding of your behaviors?  If not, what would you do and how would you respond if you were in your mother's shoes trying to tell Mrs. Kovalenko about your child's condition?

1 comment:

tdenevi said...

Hi Jon,

That's an excellent question. Even now, the cultural argument that all performance is a matter of will--that intelligence and motivation are intertwining traits--remains fairly prevalent. It's what I heard over and over, in a sense, at the Republican Convention this summer: you are poor because you don't work hard enough, disadvantaged socioeconomically because you deserve to be, etc... If I were to run in to her today (her real name was Mrs Roshinski), I would make a stronger end-run around her sphere of power and appeal to the higherups in the school itself. But my son goes to public school in Montgomery County, MD, which is very diverse and very progressive, and hyperactivity isn't an issue he struggles with. In summary, I'd try and avoid a Catholic school like St. Lucy's, but my mother, in my opinion, was doing the best with the limited cultural and financial options presented to her at the time.