Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Balance of Health and Academics

One of the biggest obstacles in my life is making time to relax and exercise. Until my freshman year of high school, swimming was my release from academics and stress. However,  I quit my club activities during high school because I could not handle balancing my academics, swimming, and extracurricular clubs. Without swimming, I did not have a release. Therefore, a lot of stress built up, and by the time I graduated, my health was terrible. In fact, I almost could not attend my graduation due to a high fever. Now that I am in college, I moderate my studying and make sure that I take breaks frequently.

As Timothy Denevi said, during the earlier stages of ADHD research, many people denied its existence. It is only recently that measures to help people with these disabilities are being put into effect. Although I do not have a psychological disorder, my question is this: how has the history of recognizing psychological disorder influenced how we deal with it today?

1 comment:

susan said...

Say a bit more about this struggle to balance work with exercise (I'm feeling it these days, myself, as I seem to have so little time to get out and ride my bike). What does the struggle tell you about your priorities, or about the structure you're living in (namely, the university)?