During my senior year, my friends, Anh and Josephine,
decided they wanted to go to LA. My friend, Anh is really into art and wanted
to go to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I had never been to a museum nor
was I interested in going to one. I only tagged along because they promised me
we would eat at some good vegan restaurants. Right when I walked through the
entrance, a whole new world had opened its welcoming arms to me. Urban Lights,
the trademark of LACMA, dazzled before me with its intricate design and
placement.
I began
walking into the Japanese history section of the museum. I love history so I
was fascinated reading the origins of woodblock printing. Woodblock printers
would etch specific designs into the wood to create a feeling of texture for
kimono dresses. Every single Japanese painting was unique and different in its
own way. I could picture myself back in the Edo period with every
individualized geisha.
I have
never been a great artist but for as long as I can remember, I have only liked
drawing and looking at realistic art. That all changed when I went into the
Picasso room. I entered and immediately told my passionate art friend, “those
are just scribbles and even I can do that.”
Lesson
learned, don’t ever insult one of the greatest artist of all time to an art aficionado.
Almost instantaneously, Anh began lecturing me about how meticulous Picasso’s
paintings were. He was a genius BECAUSE he had made his drawings seem so simple.
She taught me about how Picasso used the perfect line depth and colors to catch
a viewer’s eyes and exude emotions. I saw the paintings with a new light and
now actually prefer abstract art. The day ended and although the vegan food was
good, my world will forever be changed simply by going to a museum.
No comments:
Post a Comment