Thursday, September 29, 2016

Question for Timothy Denevi

Are there certain people or specific events immediately preceding your work that inspired you to unveil your personal history in the method that you did: with the incorporation of factual interjection that reveals your mindfulness of the readers?  If so, who or what were they?


1 comment:

tdenevi said...

Hi Elissa. I had written drafts of the personal narrative during my time in graduate school, but I felt that the emotion of the narrative--my attempt to re-create the perspective of a child with ADHD, in a sense--was limiting and unchanging, for the reader, when stretched out to hundreds of pages. I considered a more radical structural approach--something less temporal and more hybridized, like Maxine Hong Kingston's brilliant WOMAN WARRIOR--but at the time I was reading Michael J Arlen's PASSAGE TO ARARAT, one of my favorite books, which is follows his rediscovery of his Armenian heritage while also braiding in a broader history of Armenia (both threads twine together at the WWI genocide), and I was also reading WG Sebald's THE RINGS OF SATURN, which contains very personal and moving moments of memoiristic narrative amid a general sea of historical background, and as a result, I decided to structure the book in its current form. It helped that the personal narrative was basically sketched out; that way, I could adhere the historical thread thematically--the first chapter is about causality, the second about treatment, the third about education, etc...--which freed me from a more chronological approach to relaying the past 100 years of study into psychiatry, psychology, and ADHD.