Richard Ho
Blog Post 4
Experiences shape an individual. Moreover, the struggles one face enable them to become resilient and strong. It was the last year of my high school when I moved to Hawaii. It was a weird call by my parents. Why move when you're so close of graduating? Yeah, you're not the only that had this question when you first heard the news. The hardest process of moving to a new location isn't the departure. Granted, it was definitely emotional and heartbreaking to leave my brothers (blood related and non-blood related, or friends) behind. But, what's even tougher, is finding a place in the new environment, establishing new connections, making new friends, and getting familiar with the surroundings.
The transition from a school that offered almost every course one can imagine, to a school that doesn't offer many courses was interesting. It forced my to improvise and take classes outside of what the high school can offer. I began to take classes at community colleges, finding hospital volunteer, and shadowing physicians. It was at this moment in time, when I realized that life isn't just about doing well academically in school, its about preparing oneself to become self-sustainable, when one is outside the "boundary/protection" of school. I'll admit. My last year in high school had been rough.
From a sheltered kid who didn't appreciate it when opportunities were handed to him, to an adult who learned how to cook for himself, manage the house, drive, pay bills, and find his opportunities. I may not have learned as much as I wanted to, in terms of academics, but in terms of life lessons, I have gotten to know quite a few.
I believe Coates shared a similar experience as I did, when he traveled to France. It was during this trip that he regained his sense of the world. In addition, because of these trips, Coates was able to understand the world in its entirety. Looking in retrospect of my move to Hawaii and closely examining of the things I've learned over the year, it was inevitable, but I appreciate it.
No comments:
Post a Comment