Jen Yokoyama
Post 5
The Challenges of Trust
Throughout my whole life, I have been surrounded by people who care about me and allow me to be myself, but yet, I still find it hard to trust others and open up to them. I don't know where the origin of this distrust is. There isn't a "tragic event" that occurred in my early life or anything of that sort that caused me to be wary of others (in fact, my life has been pretty great). For as long as I can remember, it has been there. But, this excessive wariness of others that I have comes into conflict with many of my life aspirations and goals.
Especially because I want to be a doctor in the future, I need to be able to trust others, whether they are my patients or peers. Teamwork is essential in all aspects of medicine, and me not being able to trust others really gets in the way of working together with people efficiently to get the job done. This isn't just in medicine, but in life in general, one needs to be able to open themselves up to others to "forge close relationships".
This might just be a part of growing up and learning more about the world around me. Hopefully, one day, I will be able to trust others easier, be more willing to open to them. Having trust issues is more of an annoyance than anything, honestly speaking, because it's not a "serious" issue, but it's not something that someone wants or can just wish away. I am a guarded and wary person by nature, so that personality only adds to the heightened distrust. But, eventually, I hope that I meet people who can prove me wrong and show me that it's okay to trust others and be open with them.
1 comment:
Trusting people is really hard for many of us. But you know it's a problem, so that allows you to work through it, either by reading or experimenting in your own life or in finding a counselor to talk it over. You might also ask yourself why those people who trust you do so, then work backwards from there(?).
Post a Comment