Friday, September 2, 2016

Hamilton Library Post #1

Jon Abe
Hamilton Library Post #1
A Unique Experience

As I walked into Hamilton Library, the atmosphere was eerily quiet, almost too quiet.  Students were furiously typing on the desktop computers, while others were diligently reading their books. The only noise that could be heard was the ding of the elevator as it opened its doors.  I had to remind myself that I was still on a college campus, for I was not used to silence.  Perhaps it was because the library was nothing like the freshman towers, where partying, music, and laughter can be heard around the clock.
On the elevator ride to the fifth floor, I was accompanied by two other students.  I couldn’t help but chuckle as I imagined these two students jostling for position and speed walking for the best seat in the Hawaiian Pacific collection reading room.  To my disappointment, none of this unfolded as the two students civilly parted in opposite directions as soon as the elevator door opened.  
After putting away my bag in a locker, I settled  down at a desk and began to observe the actions of the other students.  One student was taking notes from a book that he had just pulled off the shelf, while another was nonchalantly playing Pokemon Go on his iPhone.  As I continued to scan the room, my eyes locked eyes with a girl.  Trying to diffuse this awkward situation, I gave her a nod of acknowledgment, but she did not reciprocate my friendliness.  Instead, she gave me a little glare and quickly went back to reading her book.  

Feeling that I had overstayed my welcome, I quickly walked to the locker, grabbed my bag, and headed for the elevator.  I had not felt the same excitement or adventure that Arlette Farge had felt in the archives. There seemed to be no “allure” in the Hawaiian Pacific collection reading room of Hamilton Library, but maybe it was due to that fact that I was only an observer.  Perhaps if I was conducting relevant research, I may have experienced the same flow state of mind that Farge felt in the archives.

No comments: