Friday, September 30, 2016

The Struggle is Real

Blog Post #5
Richard Ho

“Life doesn’t get any easier, you simply get stronger.” This is one of my favorite quotes that illustrate the importance of obstacles and the process of stepping over obstacles. I’ve faced many obstacles throughout my life; yet, there is not one particular one that I believe trumps all. However, one of my most recent challenges is campaigning for ASUH senator of the College of Arts and Sciences.

This isn’t something that I usually do. To be frank, this would be my first time, running a campaign for any student government affiliated organization. As a student that doesn't usually get really involved through high school besides hanging out with friends and playing sports, I never enjoyed and never understood the concept of “getting involved”.

I was soon bored to death after the first week of school. I didn’t plan on joining any clubs or doing anything besides going to the gym. However, this all changed, after I talked to a young lady in my Bio171L class. She is a young adult in her early 30’s and she was wise. She highly recommended me to explore, do everything, and try everything. She told me to join clubs, play intramurals, and make friends. Most of all, she taught me out of staying out my comfort zone.

So I listened. I joined the Pre-Medical Association. I tried out the Pre-Vet Club. I went on hikes and explored the island with a wonderful group of friends, and now, I’m trying to become an ASUH Senator. From these personal experiences, I learned that students don’t know what they’re missing out on, unless they try it out. Only through trying new things out, getting “uncomfortable”, can one truly gain personal growth. Honestly, at the beginning, I had to “worry” and “think” about whether or not going to a club meeting is a good decision, instead of just attending the meeting. I was scared. I mean, I still am, but not as much. Now, I know I have to be daring, take that first step, and I would soon realize
“Hey, it’s not so bad after all!”


1 comment:

susan said...

You have my endorsement, Richard!